Kevin Burgey Benefit Quilt

Our friend, Kevin was injured in a motorcycle accident on May 3rd. The back tire on his bike blew out while he was riding down the highway somewhere near La Crosse.  He was taken by Flight for Life to the nearest trauma center where he was in dire condition. Of course the medical bills are mounting and his family decided to throw a fundraiser party to help alleviate some of that.

I was approached by a close friend of Kevin's to help out with a quilt to auction at the fundraiser. Naturally, I made a Harley t-shirt quilt for the auction. I was happy to help.


The quilt measured 70' x 100" - a good size for a nice event.

I quilted it with a simple meander and used wool batting for a nice drapey feel.

After the event was over I got a nice text thanking me for my contribution along with this photo.  The family on the left won the quilt with a winning bid of $350 and the two people on the right are Kevin's kids. The winning bidders donated the quilt to Kevin as a keepsake of the event. What a wonderful family!

By the way, Kevin is doing great. He was released from the hospital two days before the event so he got to attend for a little while. What great news.


June Client Quilts

This month I quilted a quilt for my daughter. She made a dinosaur quilt for my granddaughter and I used a dinosaur pantograph to quilt it.

I also quilted two quilts for the quilt shop. One is for Halloween and the other for Christmas. I can't believe I'm quilting these now - it wasn't even the first day of summer yet - ha!


Animal Print Quilt

I had a bunch of animal prints in my donated fabric bin. I decided to get rid of it all by incorporating it into one quilt. There was one large piece of fabric and quite a few smaller ones.

I chose a pattern that would suit the large piece of fabric but I was sure I would have to do some creative piecing to incorporate the rest of the fabrics. I used solids to border the prints and all the leftover fabrics from the borders were used up on the back. This is definitely a no waste project.

It turned out better than I had expected even though I do think the whole thing is a bit much. I guess that's why I don't work with animal prints - haha!

This quilt will go to church to be given away at their discretion.


My June Project

My big June project happens to be going on in the back yard. I designed a new patio and hired a contractor to get the work done. 

I wanted the new patio to have a much larger footprint than our deck. And I wanted it to have curves. It was lots of cement.

I also wanted to add a brick seat wall to make a nice separation from the patio to the yard. Along with the seat wall, I asked for a custom step from the sliding door to the patio. We agreed on a brick and cement step that complemented the brick in the seat wall. 

We are not done yet. We are also adding a pergola. Unfortunately the 6x6 cedar posts are on backorder so that won't be completed for a while.


What's on the design board?

 I used my hex n' more tool to make a few hexies out of some fat quarters that were in my 'donated fabric' bin.  The fat quarters must have been in a bundle because they matched so very well.

The only problem was that there were 8 fat quarters - certainly not enough to make an entire quilt. So on one of my work days at the quilt shop I found two fabrics that paired nicely. I bought 1 yard of each.

Now I have to trim the edges and add borders. I am so happy to start working my way through my donated fabrics. Sometimes I let them weight heavy on my mind. I guess I really want to do something positive with the stuff.

I have a 3 yard quilt kit to make in such cheery fabrics and I can't to get started on it. I'm hoping the pattern is quick and easy where I can use it again on some more donated fabrics. We shall see.