Saturday

October Client Quilts

This month I quilted a Christmas quilt for a coworker. It's such a pretty quilt. It seemed appropriate to quilt snowflakes on it. I would love to have the pattern. I think I will have to ask her for it.



I quilted my friend Cindy's charity quilt. Each year she makes a quilt to support PKD research for a cure. It's a charity she is pretty passionate about because her step-daughter-in-law has the disease. The quilt is modern so I quilted it using a pantograph that had lots of lines adding another modern dimension to it. 



I also quilted a charity quilt for my church group. I absolutely hate quilting these. The fabrics smell like a musty basement and the quilt tops aren't very pretty. They are string quilts so there's lots of seams which makes them difficult to quilt. The thread breaks a lot and I struggle to get through all those seams. I get that they are utility quilts but it's not much fun. I have to remind myself that they are a worthy endeavor because someone needs them.


I will continue to quilt them as long as necessary. The nice thing is the feeling of satisfaction after they are done. 

On another note, I can't believe how unseasonably warm it's been this month. Here we are at the end of October and I still have roses blooming. Aren't they gorgeous?



Sunday

Ron's Quilt

This summer I met a man who asked me to make him a quilt. He was pretty vague about what he wanted. He asked for a twin size quilt that he could use to cover himself in his recliner. I asked him what he liked (modern, traditional, colors, prints, etc.). All he said was that he liked blue and green. That's about all I could get out of him. I did tell him I could do it but not until September. 

I sent him a photo of some fabrics I found that I thought would meet his easy requirements. I told him I was a little behind but I had a pattern picked out and these fabrics and he said no hurry. 



I used the Yellow Brick Road pattern to make the quilt top. It's a pretty easy pattern and with this fabric line and a few solids, I think it will be a great quilt. I finished the top in just a few days and decided to quilt it using a pantograph called loophole. The swirls in the pattern were a nice contrast to the geometric prints.


I used green fabric for the backing and binding, the same green that can be found in the blocks. 



Ron will pick up his quilt later this week. I hope he enjoys his homemade quilt.