Quilt Design Board

While I work through my new sewing table design ideas, I thought I would try a project that I can complete within one day. So I searched the internet to figure out how to make my own quilt design board. After reading through a few different versions posted (thank goodness people like to share their hard work online), I decided what my design board was going to look like.

I went to JoAnn Fabrics and bought 3 yards of white flannel lined vinyl tablecloth fabric. I knew that most boards sold at home improvement stores came in 4 by 8 foot sheets so I used that measurement as a guide. The tablecloth fabric came in a 54-inch width so it was just big enough to cover 4 feet. The vinyl was thick enough to cover whatever the looked like so it seemed like a perfect choice. With a 50% off coupon, the fabric was only $4.98 per yard so I spent less than $15 for the vinyl.

The I headed to Home Depot where I bought a sheet of Owens Corning Foamular. It comes in the standard 48 x 96-inch sheet, just like I expected. The tougher choice was deciding the thickness. It comes in half-inch through 2-inch thicknesses. I knew I had to get a feel for it. When I thought about the vinyl covering, I decided on the 3/4-inch thickness. It was thin enough to not be too bulky but thick enough to handle the weight of the vinyl. It only cost $8.44 for the sheet. The hard part was getting it into the car. I had to bend it slightly to make the 4-foot width fit in my little SUV, and thank goodness for the SUV or else I never would have gotten it home.
The foamular has a tongue on one side and a groove on the other, so pieces can be locked together. I took a razor knife and cut off the tongue on the one side of the piece. I laid the vinyl flat on the floor, flannel side down and plopped the foamular on top. I made sure it was evenly placed on the fabric.
Starting from the middle top I used duct tape to tape the fabric to the back of the board. Then I moved to the middle bottom and did the same. Then I moved to the middle of each side and taped the fabric down so it was tight and even. I worked towards each corner then folded a miter into the fabric and taped it all down. It was the easiest project ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment